Sunday, March 29, 2009

city to surf

I was at the starting line waiting excitedly. The hooter went. We started off walking and went into a run, all in a bunch. I went on the grass to get away from the bunch and went at my speed.  1 k down 11 ks more to run. I had my water bladder with powerade in it to make me run faster.
The 3k sign was 100 metres away and people were handing out some water. I got two, one to drink and one to pour all over me. Nine ks to go. I am sweating. I am so tired I get a piece of my energy food and a bit of my drink.
7 ks to go. I am running beside a river. I say to myself I wish I could run into the cold water but it is not part of the course. While I am day dreaming abut the water I go flying into the 6 k sign. I see a woman handing out some energy drinks. I got one. I get a piece of food. A woman sees me get one and wanted one. I could just tell, so I offered her one and she ate it.
4 ks to go. A man is wetting the runners I go under the water and feel so much better. We run under a bridge.
3 ks! I see some people handing out some water. I get one. 2 ks two go. I am so close. I see a man doing it in his pjs and a clown hat. I giggled.
1k to go. I can see some people at the side watching. I go hard, as fast as I can go. My legs hurt but I think of the finish line. I can see it- the finish. 100 metres to go 50 metres to go 10 metres to go. I have done it finished the city to surf with a time of 57 minutes from the Christchurch square to QE11 stadium. I get a pump bottle and a certificate. I get in the car and go home to sit on the couch.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Matt! Sounds like you had as much fun as I did running the City to Surf. I'm a bit stiff today after running all that way, but it was worth it!

    It is very motivating running with so many people, I'm not sure I could have made it on my own.

    Mr Sibson

    ReplyDelete